Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jesus Prayer Meditation

Jesus Prayer Meditation





Over the last several years I've done some reading about meditation and from time to time I've tried to actually meditate.

For me, so far, the simplest and most effective meditation is saying the Jesus Prayer. It's only four short lines so it is easy to memorize and recall at a moments notice. I found the meditation very helpful when dealing with difficult medical tests or long procedures at dental offices.

One day recently, when I moved from my dentist's office to the office of a dental surgeon where I was going to have a tooth extracted, they checked my blood pressure at the second office and indicated it was too high to proceed. I suggested that I might mediate for ten or fifteen minutes to see if I could calm myself down. I was quite pleased when the nurse reported that the meditation worked and that the doctor could begin the procedure.

This YouTube video is 15 minutes long with a pleasant mountain stream and nice still images. Many people have posted useful comments.  One person mentioned the writing of Father Keating which I have studied and recommend.

Richard E. Henthorn
26 January 2014


No comments: