Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
It is the ultimate contradiction that those who are firmly entrenched in their religious beliefs think nothing of killing in the name of their God. (Suzanne Somers, 365 Ways to Change Your Life, Day 354)
Friday, November 27, 2009
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Father, we around this table thank Thee:
- for Thy great gift of life,
- that Thy love for us is not dependent upon any worthiness of ours,
- for good health,
- that we know neither hunger nor want,
- for warm clothes to wear,
- for those who love us best,
- for friends whose words of encouragement have often chased away dark clouds,
- for the zest of living,
- for many an answered prayer,
- for kindly providences that have preserved us from danger and harm.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
The first and most difficult obstruction to the fulfillment of the law of God is the fact that our society's existing laws are completely opposed to this law. (Anonymous in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 3 November)
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
Lord, make me a channel for thy peace --
- that where there is hatred, I may bring love
- that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness
- that where there is discord, I may bring harmony
- that where there is error, I may bring truth
- that where there is doubt, I may bring faith
- that where there is despair, I may bring hope
- that where there are shadows, I may bring light
- that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
- to comfort than to be comforted
- to understand, than to be understood
- to love, than to be loved.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.
(Prayer of St. Francis, Daily Reflections, 21 November)
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Lord, I refuse to let my attitude be controlled by regrets and worries that reflect a lack of trust in You. My goal is to take every thought captive and destroy any thought that contradicts my knowledge of You. Through the power of Your Holy Spirit, I pray that you will enable me to do this. (Kay Arthur, Search My Heart, O God, 22 November)
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
You hide from your misfortunes. But if you knew what other people suffered, then you would not complain about your own. (Anonymous in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 24 October)
When I meditate I have a special thought to carry with me throughout the day. I know I am doing something important for myself. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 13 November)
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
"An 'arrow prayer' is a very simple and direct petition or word of thanksgiving and praise, which may be said at any time and in any place. Texts from well-loved portions of Scripture may be selected; one may find appropriate words in some other book; or one may make them up for himself.
Typical arrow prayers would be:
- 'My God I love thee; make me love thee more.'
- 'Thank God for life and friends, for work and fun, for everything.'
- 'Help me, O Lord, to see thee and serve thee wherever I am.'
- 'May I do this work as well as I can and in a way pleasing to thee' or
- 'Help me, Lord, in talking to this person who needs my counsel' or
- 'Strengthen me to face this ordeal.'
Friday, November 13, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
The daily discipline of [self-examination,] prayer and meditation will keep me in fit spiritual condition, able to face whatever the day brings ... (Daily Reflections, 4 November)
Monday, November 9, 2009
Some prayers are followed by silence because they are wrong, others because they are bigger than one can understand. It will be a wonderful moment for some of us when we stand before God and find that the prayers we clamored for in early days and imagined were never answered, have been answered in the most amazing way, and that God's silence has been the sign of the answer. (Oswald Chambers, Daily Thoughts for Disciples, p. 75)
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Friday, November 6, 2009
Seek through prayer and meditation to improve your conscious contact with God as you understand Him, praying only for knowledge of His will and the power to carry that out. (Modified Step Eleven of Al-Anon from The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie, 27 October)
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Monday, November 2, 2009
Show me how to focus my thinking, Father: Cleanse my mind. Expose every thought that is based on the world's values rather than on Your standards. Sharpen my spiritual vision so that I can counter Satan's lies with the truth of Your Word. (Kay Arthur, Search My Heart, O God, 2 November)