Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Another Viewpoint on Arrow Prayers

Offer ejaculatory petitions.  Often send up brief, unspoken petitions.  "A single cry for strength against sudden temptation or help in immediate work, a word of intercession for another, of thanksgiving, or joyful communion."  You will thus acquire the habit of "praying always." (Eph. 6:18)  Stonewall Jackson, asked about praying without ceasing, said, "I never raise a glass of water to my lips without asking God's blessing, nor seal a letter without putting a word of prayer under the seal, nor take a letter from the post without a brief sending of my thought heavenward, nor change my classes without a minute's petition on the cadets who come in."  [He was asked,] "don't you sometimes forget to do this?" [He replied,] "I scarcely can say that I do.  The habit has become as fixed as breathing."   (Abbie C. Morrow in Daily Meditations for Prayer, 18 November)

No comments: