Saturday, November 14, 2009

Praying Today: Practical Thoughts on Prayer


"An 'arrow prayer' is a very simple and direct petition or word of thanksgiving and praise, which may be said at any time and in any place. Texts from well-loved portions of Scripture may be selected; one may find appropriate words in some other book; or one may make them up for himself.

Typical arrow prayers would be:
  • 'My God I love thee; make me love thee more.'
  • 'Thank God for life and friends, for work and fun, for everything.'
  • 'Help me, O Lord, to see thee and serve thee wherever I am.'
The possibilities are beyond number. And one can also pray in this fashion before undertaking some job,
  • 'May I do this work as well as I can and in a way pleasing to thee' or
  • 'Help me, Lord, in talking to this person who needs my counsel' or
  • 'Strengthen me to face this ordeal.'
It is as simple as that."

No comments: